Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Twilight Racing

This week there was a good turnout for the bi-weekly fun racing in Optimist dinghies. There was a good wind and breaking waves which promised some interesting racing.

Even before the start there were a few capsizes and lots of bailing as sailors soon leant to  stay away from the bow as these small boats are not really meant to be sailed by heavyweight adults.

Once the racing started it was evident that there were a couple of racing snakes in the pack. I made a slow start in about fourth or fifth place but managed to pull up to third around the windward mark making up one place on the first reach and catching the leader  at the end of the second reach as he was not sure of the course.

We split tags on the beat, the leader going offshore and I stayed inshore followed closely by by the  third  and 4th placed boats one of whom slipped past me before the windward mark, dropping me back to third. The penultimate reach would be the decisive leg with three of us within a few boats lengths, initial I was up to windward and the two ahead started to head up so I ducked to leeward and gybed around the wing mark to take the lead, there after it was a matter of staying calm and staying ahead of the racing snakes as they attempted to pass to windward.  The finish was very close as we tried to surf the waves and at one stage I though I had lost as I hit the back of a wave and the second boat surfed up to my stern.

Following the racing we all gathered for dinner and prize giving at the Sutera Harbour Marina Club. The Handicap system which ensures the prizes are spread amongst the fleet resulted in the 2nd, 5th  and 6th boats  being awarded prize. One boat retired after a couple of capsizes and losing his bailer which meant he had to use his cap as a makeshift bailer.

Pirates Rule!

David Ogden AKA Seadogs
0198428702
Pirates of Borneo
Yacht watch Service 

,,,,

No comments: